Department of Pharmacy
- Do I need to be a registered pharmacist in Singapore to be eligible for admission to the PharmD program?
Ans: Candidates must be registered to practice Pharmacy in Singapore. For eligibility and licensure requirements, please refer to the Singapore Pharmacy Council website.
- Are there any additional costs that I will incur?
Ans: Tuition fees do not include travelling and living cost that may be incurred when students go for overseas clerkship(s). You will also be liable for the Mandatory Miscellaneous Fees (MMF) issued by the University every semester. You may read more about MMF here http://www.nus.edu.sg/registrar/edu/gd-fees.html
- Are there any scholarships awarded by NUS or SPC for this program?
Ans: NUS does not provide any scholarship. Please contact SPC for availability of scholarships.
- Where are the various practice settings for the clerkship programs? Would it be locally(NUH, SGH?) or overseas?
Ans: There are 5 compulsory clerkships namely in Ambulatory Care, Adult Acute Care Medicine, Adult General Medicine, Critical Care Medicine and Drug Information and 3 elective clerkships. These may be undertaken at local and/or overseas sites approved by NUS Dept of Pharmacy.
- Can I request for clerkship at overseas location?
Ans: Clerkships may be undertaken at overseas locations that are approved by the department.
- Can I go on to do clerkships if I do not complete all the essential and elective courses?
Ans: The essential and elective courses prepare candidates for clerkships hence they must be completed before candidates go for clerkships.
- Must I complete a research project?
Ans: Research project is highly encouraged. However candidate can choose to earn the 16MC by only undertaking the coursework elective modules.
- Is part-time programme available?
Ans: No, the NUS PharmD programme is a 2-year full time programme
- Are the course fees payable by CPF?
Ans: No. Use of CPF for tuition fee is governed by the CPF Education Scheme. The Scheme only covers undergraduate and diploma courses approved by the CPF Board. Please refer to the CPF Board for more information at http://ask-us.cpf.gov.sg/explorefaq.asp?category=22997.
- When would we be notified on the outcome of our application?
Ans: Only shortlisted applicants will be invited for interview. Shortlisted applicants will be notified by 15th May.
- Will licensure bodies of other countries recognise the NUS PharmD degree?
Ans: Pharmacists with NUS BSc (Pharmacy) (with and without honours) degree and registered to practise in Singapore have successfully applied and sat for the relevant national (and if needed, state) level exams in USA, Canada, UK, Australia and New Zealand and became practising pharmacists. Application by the individual for overseas pharmacist licensure is determined by the criteria set by the respective licensure bodies and these may change from time to time, depending on immigration policies and economic climate besides the degree held by and other training or work experience of the applicant. Therefore we anticipate that the pharmacists who obtain the NUS PharmD degree will be treated in the same way by overseas licensure bodies.