Stokes Professor of Biophotonics (Science Foundation Ireland)
School Of Physics, National University of Ireland Galway, University Road, Galway, Ireland
Royal College of Surgeons Ireland
121, St Stephens Green, Dublin 2, Ireland
Phone : 35-3-91-494070 (direct line)
E-mail : email@example.com
Fax : 35-3-91-494584 (Office Fax)
Prof Malini Olivo is currently the Stokes Professor of Biophotonics at the School of Physics, National University of Ireland Galway, and she holds an Adjunct appointment in the Department of Pharmacy at the National University of Singapore. She completed her Ph.D. in Bio-Medical Physics from the University College London and University of Malaya in 1990. Later, she went on to do her Post-Doctoral Research fellowship at the British National Medical Laser Centre, University College London, UK and also at McMaster University, Hamilton and Toronto University in Ontario, Canada. She embarked on her research career in the Department of Radiology, McMaster University, Hamilton, and Princess Margaret Cancer Hospital in Toronto, Ontario, Canada before coming to Singapore to work as Principal Investigator of the Photodynamic Treatment and Diagnosis and Biophotonics Laboratories in the Singapore National Cancer Centre and SingHealth Research Facilities in 1996.
Prof Malini Olivo has pioneered the area of clinical application of Photodynamic Diagnosis and Treatment in Cancer in Singapore. Her research interests include Nano-Photomedicine and also Nano-Biophotonics for diagnostic imaging and therapeutics.
Selected Publications 2009-2010
- H. M. Fan, Malini Olivo, B. Shuter, R. Bhuvaneswari, J. B. Yi, H. R. Tan, G. C. Xing, CT Ng, L. Liu, S. S. Lucky, Bay BH, J. Ding. “Quantum. Dot Capped Magnetite Nanoring as high performance nanoprobe for Multiphoton Fluorescence and Magnetic Resonance Imaging”. JACS (In press 2010)
- Dinish U. S, Fu Chit Yaw, Ajay Agarwal, Malini Olivo. Development of Highly Reproducible Nanogap SERS Substrates: Comparative Performance Analysis and its Application for Glucose Sensing. Biosensors and Bioelectronics (In press 2010)
- Maiti KK, Dinish US, Fu CY, Jae-Jun Lee, Soh Kiat Seng, Bhuvana Ramaswamy, Olivo M*, Chang YT*. “Development of Biocompatible SERS Nanotag with Increased Stability by Chemisorption of Reporter Molecule for in vivo Cancer Detection.”Biosensors and Bioelectronics (in press 2010)
- Kho KW, Sheppard C, Soo KC, Olivo MC. Broadband High-resolution Imaging via a 2D Plasmonic Super-lens Constructed with an Embedded Oblate Nanocavity. Optics Express (in press 2010).
- Srivathsan Vasudevan, George Chung Kit Chen, Marta Andika, Shuchi Agarwal, Peng Chen and Malini Olivo. “Quantitative photothermal monitoring of the effect of glucose depletion on human red blood cells”. Journal of Biomedical Optics (in press 2010).
- Kho KW, Olivo MC. “Cryogenic Approach to the Production of a Smooth Au Substrate with Embedded Dielectric Nano-voids”. Nanoletters (in press 2010)
- Malini Olivo, Sasidharan Swarnalatha Lucky, Kent Mancer, Weber Kam On Lau. Role of cell-adhesion molecules in the differential accumulation of hypericin in photodynamic diagnosis of bladder cancer. Urologic Oncology: Seminars and Original Investigations, 2010 (In Press.)
- Hui Dong, Yandong Gong, Malini Olivo. Measurement of stokes parameters of terahertz radiation in terahertz timedomain spectroscopy. Microwave and Optical Technology Letters. 52(10); 2319-24, 2010
- Chin WW, Thoniyot P, Heng PWS, Olivo M. “Effect of polyvinylpyrrolidone on the interaction of chlorin e6 with plasma proteins and its subcellular localization.” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, 2010 (Epub ahead of print).
- Cho SJ, Ahn YH, Maiti KK, Dinish US, Fu CY, Thoniyot P, Olivo M*, Chang YT* Combinatorial synthesis of a triphenylmethine library and their application in the development of surface enhanced Raman scattering (SERS) probes. Chem Commun (Camb). 7; 46(5):722-4, 2010.
- Y Xu, M F Wang, C S Premachandran, K W S Chen, N Chen, M Olivo. Platinum microheater integrated silicon optical bench assembly for endoscopic optical coherence tomography. J of Micromechanics and Microengineering, 20 (015008) :1-8, 2010.
- Malini Olivo, Ramaswamy Bhuvaneswari, Sasidharan Swarnalatha Lucky, Nagamani Dendukuri, Patricia Soo-Ping Thong. Targeted Therapy of Cancer using Photodynamic Therapy in Combination with Multi-faceted Anti-tumor Modalities. Pharmaceuticals. 3(5), 1507-1529, 2010.
- Hai-Ming Fan, Jia-Bao Yi, Yi Yang, Kiang-Wei Kho, Hui-Ru Tan, Ze-Xiang Shen, Jun Ding, Xiao-Wei Sun, Yuan-Ping Feng and Malini Carolene Olivo, Single-Crystalline MFe2O4 Nanotubes/Nanorings Synthesized by Thermal Transformation Process for Biological Applications. ACS Nano 3(9): 2798–2808, 2009
- Dong H, Gong YD, Paulose V, Shum P, Olivo M. Optimum input states of polarization for Mueller matrix measurement in a system having finite polarization-dependent loss or gain. Opt Express 17(25): 23044-57, 2009.
- Bhuvaneswari R, Gan YY, Soo KC, Olivo M. “Targeting EGFR with photodynamic therapy in combination with Erbitux enhances in vivo bladder tumor response. Mol Cancer. 8(1):94, 2009.
- Malini Olivo, Patricia S.P. Thong,William W.L. Chin, Ramaswamy Bhuvaneswari, Kent Mancer, Khee-Chee Soo. “Clinical application of fluorescence endoscopic imaging using hypericin for the diagnosis of human oral cavity lesions” Br J Cancer. 101(9): 1580-4, 2009.
- Bhuvaneswari R, Thong PSP, Gan YY, Soo KC, Olivo M. “Evaluation of photodynamic therapy in combination with angiogenesis inhibitor bevacizumab using in vivo fluorescence confocal endomicroscopy”. J Biomed Opt. 2010 Jan-Feb;15(1):011114.
- Feng Lin & Malini Olivo. “The State-of-the-art Technologies for Medical and Biological Imaging, Guest Editors’ Comments”. J Sign Process Syst 54:1–6, 2009.
- H. Dong, YD Gong, Varghese Paulose, P Shum, Malini Olivo. “Effect of input states of polarization on the measurement error of Mueller matrix in a system having small polarization-dependent loss or gain.” Optics Express 17(15): 13017-30, 2009.
- Dinish U. S, Chit Yaw Fu, Ajay Agarwal, Praveen Thoniyot, Malini Olivo. “Glucose sensing using 3D array of reproducible Surface Enhanced Raman Scattering substrates”, Proc. of SPIE Vol. 7397 73970C-1 (2009)
- Dinish U. S, Chit Yaw Fu, Kiang Wei Kho, Praveen Thoniyot, Ajay Agarwal, Malini Olivo. “Fluctuation in Surface Enhanced Raman Scattering intensity due to plasmon related heating effect”, Proc. of SPIE Vol. 7394 73940T-1 (2009)
- Chit Yaw Fu, Zhen Yu Koh, Khiang Wei Kho, U.S Dinish, Thoniyot Praveen, Olivo Malini “The Effect of Design Parameters of Metallic Substrate on the Reproducibility of SERS Measurement for Biosensing”, Proc. of SPIE Vol. 7397 739717-1 (2009)
- PSP Thong, M Olivo, F Lin, HS Seah, SS Tandjung, K Qian, WWL Chin, R Bhuvaneswari, K Mancer, KC Soo. “Detection and Diagnosis of Human Oral Cancer using Hypericin Fluorescence Endoscopic Imaging Interfaced with Embedded Computing” SPIE Proceedings Volume 7380, 2009.
- Ramaswamy Bhuvaneswari, Yik Yuen Gan, Patricia SP Thong, William Wei Lim Chin, Khee Chee Soo, Malini Olivo. “Combination of angiogenesis inhibitors increases the anti-tumor efficacy of photodynamic therapy in a human bladder tumor xenograft model” SPIE Proceedings, Vol. 7380, 2009.
- Sasidharan SL, Lau WKO, Mancer K, Olivo M. “Loss of intercellular adhesion leads to differential accumulation of hypericin in bladder cancer” SPIE Proceedings, Vol 7380, 2009.
- Bhuvaneswari R, Gan YY, Soo KC and Olivo M., “The effect of photodynamic therapy on tumor angiogenesis”. Cellular and molecular life sciences, 66(14): 2275-83, 2009.
- James Chen Yong Kah, Tzu Hao Chow, Beng Koon Ng, Sirajudeen Gulam Razul, Malini Olivo and Colin James Richard Sheppard, “Concentration dependence of gold nanoshells on the enhancement of optical coherence tomography images: A quantitative study.” Applied Optics. 1;48(10):D96-D108, 2009.
- Kah JC, Olivo M, Chow TH, Song KS, Koh KZ, Mhaisalkar S, Sheppard CJ. Control of optical contrast using gold nanoshells for optical coherence tomography imaging of mouse xenograft tumor model in vivo. J Biomed Opt. 14(5):054015, 2009.
- Liu J, Saw CL, Olivo M, Sudhaharan T, Ahmed S, Heng PW, Wohland T. Study of interaction of hypericin and its pharmaceutical preparation by fluorescence techniques. J of Biomedical Optics, Vol 14 (1), p. 014003, 2009.
- Feng Lin, Malini Olivo, Sun-Yuan Kung Ed. Biomedical Imaging. Published by Springer US, 2009
- Chin WW, Thong PSP, Bhuvaneswari R, Soo KC, Heng PW, Olivo M. “In-vivo optical detection of cancer using clorin e6-polyvinylpyrrolidone induced fluorescence imaging and spectroscopy”. BMC Medical Imaging, 9(1):1, 2009.